Updated: Jul 9, 2020
Isn't it easy to be a best friend to someone? You're there when they need you, you show them grace, seek to understand them and help them understand themselves. You forgive them when they screw up; you're there to encourage them when they are unsure, and to lift them up when they fall. But why can it be so difficult to do this for ourselves? There is so much research out there that proves that if we treat ourselves the way we treat our best friend, we would live a much happier and healthier life! The Mirriam-Webster Dictionary defines "Self-love" as: An appreciation of one's own worth and virtue, and proper regard for and attention to one's own happiness or well-being.
But, some of us feel that self-love is selfish. The narcissist shows us all too well how self-love is done the wrong way. The truth is, until we get in touch with ourselves, our well-being, our thoughts, needs, and desires and embrace what makes us happy, we aren't fully able to impart love to others. From that place of self-love is where compassion and love pours out for others. When our tanks are full, we can easily fuel others. Here are are 25 ways to show yourself some self-love: 1. Gift yourself by getting 8 hours of sleep every night.
2. Start your day with a ritual that is meaningful to you.
3. Declare a positive affirmation about yourself daily that you know to be true.
4. Nourish, your body with healthy food and drink water; helping yourself to thrive.
5. Eat only to nourish not from boredom or to numb feelings.
6. Celebrate your wins, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.
7. Forgive yourself. The past is over, but you can choose not to repeat the mistakes.
8. Take the time to daydream about your best self.
9. Make a list of things you are proud of and that you love about yourself.
10. Ensure that your self-talk is only loving, kind, and non-judgmental.
11. Wear clothes that you love, that fit, and look great on you.
12. Read a book, or poetry, or listen to your favorite music.
13. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are YOU. Accept yourself.
14. Embrace who you are and all the things that make you unique.
15. Make peace with your body and love it just the way it is.
16. End any toxic relationship you have.
17. Surround yourself with positive people who lift you up and encourage your dreams.
18. Follow your passion. If it's not scary to you, it's not a big enough dream. Dream big!
19. Pay attention to your thoughts; be mindful of how you show up in the world.
20. Ask for help when you need it. There are always helpers willing to assist.
21. Buy yourself flowers, just because!
22. Give up caring about what people think of you. It's none of your business.
23. Let go of trauma, and seek out a therapist if you need help letting it go.
24. Let your creative side out. Draw, paint, sculpt, make music, whatever it is for you.
25. Be realistic. You can't be happy all the time. Allow yourself to feel your feelings.
These are all things that I have done and continue to do, and I know they help with self-love! Why not add in a few of these to your daily routine? You're so worth it!